Hi there, I'm Trish, fashion designer and teacher at TrishNewbery.com. I have been involved in the garment industry for more years than I care to remember as both a senior pattern maker and ‘ready to wear’ designer.
I have lectured at a Fashion & Design school on both the bachelor’s degree and the post-graduate fashion courses and been a judge in many fashion competitions. My information is garment industry based and added to a lifetime's knowledge of home sewing. The techniques shown bring you the best of both to enable the fastest and most professional boutique look to your garments. It's my goal to give you the skills and knowledge to last you a lifetime.
Join me if you love to sew and are interested in design, patternmaking, and sewing. I want to teach you the fashion industry way - and the easy tips and techniques that makes a garment look like it stepped out of the magazine pages!
My design philosophy is all about making clothes that you feel good in. My print at home downloadable digital PDF sewing patterns and blocks are designed to be easy to use, even for people with little experience. Most patterns come with a sew-a-long video on my YouTube channel. The techniques shown bring you the best of both to enable the fastest and most professional finish to your garments - so you will be able to whip up something you’ll be excited to wear or sell, show your personal style and design aesthetic, and will enable you to build up either a personal wardrobe that reflects you, or a cohesive fashion collection.
The specific subjects I have taught at tertiary level are:
On the Bachelor of Creative Technologies:
- New Zealand Design
- Advanced Garment Construction
- Design a Fashion Collection
- Design Innovation
- Design Development
- Introduction to Textiles Design (Interior Design & Fashion)
- History of Art & Design in Aotearoa (New Zealand)
- A Creative Project (Fashion Major - Create a Pop-up Shop)
On the Post Graduate Diploma in Creative Entrepreneurship
- Fashion Stream Mentor - Design, Grading, Patternmaking & Construction
- 2014 Cult Couture fashion Design Awards - Supreme Winner
- 2014 Cult Couture Fashion Design Awards - Red Carpet Category - Winner
- 2014 Hokonui Fashion Design Awards - Recycled and Sustainable Category - Runner Up
- 2014 Creationfest - Metal Mania Category - People Choice Award
- 2014 Creationfest - Metal Mania Category - Runner Up
- 2014 Creationfest - Sweet Dreams and Beautiful Nightmares Category - Finalist
- 2011 Westfield Style Pasifika - 3 Piece Category - Finalist - Highly Commended
- 2009 Westfield Style Pasifika - Bridal Category - Winner
I want you to enjoy your sewing experience and look forward to getting to know you.